You owe me $5.
Or I’m convinced you would have owed me $5 if you had been my people roommate. You wouldn’t have been borrowing the money maliciously, you just would have been constantly forgetting your wallet. I always envisioned your human self as a laid back, pot-smoking surfer; a hell of a good time and hard to be mad at.
Hence why I did not get mad at you long when you did the following things:
- Vomit. Every morning. Usually on something unwashable.
- Eat dust bunnies.
- Launch yourself into the rafters on the 9 foot ceiling of our loft apartment to the point I thought we’d have to be those losers who call the fire department to get their cat down.
- Chase your sister around our first apartment at top speed and force Angry Mildred to bang her broom into the ceiling for the 57th time that day.
- Excuse yourself from our backyard to go to the neighbour’s backyard forcing me to leave a confused, 1 year-old T-Man in our yard all by himself so I could chase after you.
- Tear a hole in every one of my knitted sweaters during your “Pet me. Pet me now.” quest.
- Sit on my hands when I was trying to type.
- Sit on my chest when I was trying to sleep.
- Sit on my lap every time it was shedding season and I was eating.
- Meow at a pitch that made every time feel like an emergency.
You (and your sister) were my fur babies for 5 years before the skin babies came. You kept me company when hubby worked late. You snuggled with me when I was sick. You ate the last chip out my bowl when I wasn’t looking. Yep, pretty much every time.
This last Christmas, I could sense your time was coming. I didn’t need the vet to tell me your 17 year-old body was starting to fail you. I could tell myself. But I am grateful for having been aware. Your sister was fine and then she wasn’t in the course of 24hrs. I got to have so many more pets with you, so many more snuggles, so many more shared pieces of cheese.
Please send me a sign that you aren’t eternally pissed that I let the 3 year-old carry you around. I tried to stop her but she’s like a ninja – she just kept finding you again and again.
Please know that I loved you dearly. Please know that I will miss you every time I type.
Your Human Mom